Black 3.0 is the latest version of Stuart Semple’s super matte, ultra black acrylic paint.
It was created with the help of over 1000 different artists who beta-tested the paint. Thanks to the amazing support of the artistic community via Kickstarter we managed to fund the manufacture of this incredible paint (it was just too much for our little studio).
Black 3.0 is the blackest and mattest acrylic paint on the planet. Unlike other super-black coatings it can be safely applied with nothing more than a brush, and we’ve worked super hard to make it affordable.
We created a new acrylic resin that holds more pigment than other acrylics which means 3.0 is capable of trapping much more light.
We developed a pigment (Black Magick) that is totally matte (normally black pigments are slightly shiny)
We have added a variety of brand new transparent mattifiers to flatten out stray light.
- Absorbs up to 99% of visible light
- Apply with a brush or a spray
- Works with most surfaces (wood, paper, canvas, plastic, metal, plaster etc…)
- Thins with water
- Lightfast and archival
- No need for cooking, vacuum chambers, or weapons-grade scientists
- Smells like fresh coffee
- Not available to Kapoor
It’s simply a paint, so it’s super easy. You literally just brush it on. It will handle a bit different than your other paints, but you’ll get used to it :)
Key things to remember:
- Use a nice soft brush (not a rubbish scratchy comblike one)
- Apply at room temperature 10 - 25 c ( 50 - 77 F)
- Use as little paint as possible and spread it out nicely
- Allow to dry between coats (at least two hours, overnight is better)
- Use a hairdryer to get max blackness
- Seal absorbent (porous) things with 25% PVA and 75% Water
- Prime shiny (non - absorbent) things with primer or Black 2.0
Thank you so much for your support!
Have fun with it and share your work on instagram with #sharetheblack
*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.