WE ARE CURRENTLY PRODUCING OUR NEXT BATCH OF BLACK 3.0 PLEASE ADD YOUR EMAIL TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN IT IS READY (current estimate Nov 2019 - if you can't wait for that you can get Black 2.0 now)
Black 3.0 is the latest version of Stuart Semple’s super matte, ultra black acrylic paint.
It was created with the help of over 1000 different artists who beta-tested the paint. Thanks to the amazing support of the artistic community via Kickstarter we managed to fund the manufacture of this incredible paint (it was just too much for our little studio).
Black 3.0 is the blackest and mattest acrylic paint on the planet. Unlike other super-black coatings it can be safely applied with nothing more than a brush, and we’ve worked super hard to make it affordable.
- Absorbs up to 99% of visible light
- Apply with a brush or a spray
- Works with most surfaces (wood, paper, canvas, plastic, metal, plaster etc…)
- Thins with water
- Lightfast and archival
- No need for cooking, vacuum chambers, or weapons-grade scientists
- Smells like fresh coffee
- Not available to Kapoor
We created a new acrylic resin that holds more pigment than other acrylics which means 3.0 is capable of trapping much more light.
We developed a pigment (Black Magick) that is totally matte (normally black pigments are slightly shiny)
We have added a variety of brand new transparent mattifiers to flatten out stray light
HOW TO USE IT
It’s simply a paint, so it’s super easy. You literally just brush it on. It will handle a bit different than your other paints, but you’ll get used to it :)
VITALLY IMPORTANT!! - be sure to wet your brush well with water before painting with 3.0 !!
- The golden rule is 2 or 3 thin layers, allowing to dry between coats is way better than thick layers. So build it up carefully and slowly. A couple of thin coats rather than one big thick gloopy one!
- We recommend using a soft synthetic paint brush.
- On shiny / non-porous surfaces like plastic or metal we advise using a primer first.
- Black 2.0 is the perfect primer for most surfaces and will mean you use less 3.0
- It is possible to use 3.0 without a primer - just add a very thin coat with a soft brush (it will look weird and like it hasn’t worked but don’t worry) let it dry and then add a couple of thin additional layers.
- As it dries it will become darker and darker (watching it dry is fun!)
- Black 3.0 will achieve max darkness about 20 hours after application.
That you so much for your support!
Have fun with it and share your work on instagram with #sharetheblack
*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.